Little did I know, on May 22nd,
my Winifred was born.
Winifred is a cream coloured 1lb animal,
with little feet that are easily broken, and quills that can scare the bravest
of souls. She’s a hedgehog, a precious little thing; as delicate as a flower,
yet as strong as a tree. Her quills protect her, and her quick feet can take
her far away.
She is not a rodent, nor a porcupine. She
is part of the shrew family, but I like to say she is now part of the Chapman
family. She is the first Chapman hedgehog, and probably the first Winifred for
at least many generations.
I think Winifred is a beautiful name, yet
everyone calls her Winnie. Although she’s an excellent pooper and only poops in
her cage, I tease her often and call her Winnie my honey Pooh bear. Do you see
all the Winnie the Pooh references? Honey, bear…poop!
Winnie is an exotic animal, and there is
not much to compare her to. She’s not like a dog, nor like a cat, the most
common pets out there. Every day has had its little challenges. I would like to
start from the beginning, to give new hedgehog owners a detailed guide. Not
just the facts, but also the emotions that come with it. That is one thing that
you can’t easily prepare for, yet it is very important.
I have had Winnie for only just over a month now, and so you come along this journey with me, as I know there is so much
more I will discover and learn over the next few years of her hopefully long
life.
xoxo
Jannie & Winnie
No comments:
Post a Comment